Monday, November 17, 2008
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Sunday, October 12, 2008
We’ll make this one quick, because you’re just dying to know our thoughts, nay, our dreams of I Dream Of Weenie. This review might get us kicked off plenty of RSS feeds, but we’ll just have to take our chances.
Eddie: House Of Pizza has certainly earned it's rightful spot on my worst of the worst list. The whole place smelled like a dank basement and all the wobbly mismatched chairs had nasty food stains. The food selection was surprisingly minimal. At peak lunch time, all they had behind the glass were 2 calzones, 4 pizza rolls, and a few pizza slices. I ended up with a calzone, which I managed to enjoy...as long as I forced myself to block out the images of the grumpy dude handling my food with his bare hands after coughing all over himself. Also, the layout was not very ergonomic; the narrow entrance where you place your order is also the only exit, and would create a bit of a traffic jam if they ever became a busy lunch spot. Which is unlikely considering the nasty.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Frank: I’m not a fan of wings in general. I don’t really know why this is but probably has something to do with laziness. Too much work for so little reward. It’s like ordering quail at a nice restaurant. Sure, it’s delicious, but really… was it worth all that effort? However, I am a fan of locally owned eateries and chutzpah. Ghot Wingz has both in spades. Being across the way from the NADC, the décor is spot on with b&w tiled floors and a tool-box counter motif with a few pool tables in the next room. I ordered a dozen wings - half Hot Garlic and the other half Original with onion rings on the side. As my number was called, Sharonda (the owner) opened my styrofoam container to be sure that they had my order right. Nice touch. The Hot Garlic wings came “naked” and the original arrived breaded and fried. Both were messy but delicious. The onion rings were great also. I think I was able to finish all but a couple of wings. I had no idea that a dozen tiny wings was actually a lot of food but it sat heavy in my gut all afternoon in case I were to forget. All in all, I love this place. Great service and very courteous. But next time I go there, I still think I’m going to try the burger…
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
So today marks another first for Nashville Eats Its ABCs. We are pleased to pull up another chair and welcome our first-ever-guest-lunch-reviewer for our romp thru the letter E and Donelson's delightful Ellendale's. This guest reviewer is a good friend of ours and also one of those powerful, music executive types who like to sit in his corner office, chomp his cigar and tell wide-eyed aspiring musicians that he can make them 'famous'. Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together and make welcome our very special guest, Mr. Jorge' Azoff.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
With no conflicting lunch appointments and a short work week, we decided that we should check another letter off the lunch list today. C it was. It always takes a bit of wrangling for the 3 of us to get on the same page about where to eat, but we ended up in Eddie's silver Exterra and headed for... Christopher's Pizza Company.
Frank: When I go to a pizza place, especially for lunch, I’m looking for a spinach calzone. I’m not into this idea of splitting a pizza because who wants to be forced to eat someone else’s topping preferences? Most of my friends prefer meats on their pizzas while I like veggie. Thus I order my own personal calzone. When we sat down and looked over the menu at CPC, I was bummed (no calzones) but decided to try their 9 inch Fancy Pants pizza. The upside: I loved my little pizza. Great crust - crust that wasn’t too sweet (this is the first mistake pizza places make – too dang much sugar in their crust!). Pine nuts, goat cheese, spinach and olive oil makes for a fancy pants pizza indeed. Bonus: the check came almost right away after we were finished. (This is another of my pet peeves – having to wait an eternity to PAY for lunch and get on with life.) They have nice servers as well. The only downside: Their straws were too short for the glass and I had to keep fishing mine back out. All in all, I like this place.
Saturday, June 28, 2008
So today we went to Boswell’s Harley Davidson Grill. Aside from seeing a pretty sweet trike in the parking lot, we only wanted to see if a motorcycle dealership could serve us up a decent lunch. Here's what we found:
Friday, June 27, 2008
The letter A stands for... Alley Cat Lounge & Tex Mex Grill
Here's what we thought:
Frank: So-so for me. Decent atmosphere but food took forever to come out. I’ve been trying to eat better so I had a chef salad. That's lame, right? Whatever people.. I’m down nearly 20 lbs from Christmas, so bring on the bland salads!
Hank: It could have been cleaner...but it could have been dirtier. The big turn off for me was that due to the fact that it’s a bar...there was smoking allowed in the restaurant. The service was good...but with only 4 tables sat during lunchtime...there was no excuse for any less service. I had a chicken sandwich with fries and I thought it was good. Nothing to write home about...it’s hard to screw up something like that. Overall...good bar food...not somewhere I’ll probably frequent.
Eddie: The menu had some interesting variations on the standards. Not what you'd expect from a bar located in an alley. The Tortas, which is essentially a pork BBQ sandwich with a few extras, was fantastic. The prices definitely fit the fare.
Eddie's Top 3 picks:
- Uncle Gio's (r.i.p.)
- Bro's Cajun Cuisine
- Joey's House Of Pizza
- Wendell Smith's
- Muddea's Famous Chicken & Waffles
- Twin Kegs
- Honduras Restaurant
- The Factory Grill
- Richie’s “Hot & Spicy” Kastle
- Twin Kegs
- The Pie Wagon
- International Market and Deli
Hank's Top 3 ABC Nashville restaurants:
- Zackies Original Hot Dog (Germantown) - I can go with or without hotdogs...and usually only have one if I’m at the ballpark. But Zackies may have changed me! This place is great! Very clean...great service...they even remembered our names! My winning meal was a brat w/ spicy mustard, crinkle cut fries and a Jones Soda Rootbeer. I’ve been back a number of times since and have not been disappointed!
- Judge Beans – I love baseball and I love bbq...so I was quite excited to get the news that Judge Beans had relocated to Greer Stadium (home of the Nashville Sounds). It doesn’t get any better than eating brisket at a table overlooking a great ball field! It’s open every day...but if you go during a game the Judge gives you a free ticket to the game along with your meal! The downside is that it’s packed on game days and the service suffers...but when you’re watching baseball...what’s the rush?!?
- The Copper Kettle – Where do I start??? When trying to think of a place to eat for lunch...this is always the first thing that comes to mind. It’s clean...friendly staff...and the food is always good! I call it a gourmet Meat & 3. They have a rotating menu of specials and on each day you are bound to find something you’ll like. I’ve got 2 favorite meals there: 1) Coconut chicken fingers, mashed potatoes & green bean casserole. 2) Grilled Chicken salad with cranberry vinaigrette dressing, spiced pecans and a fried ball of goat cheese. I would recommend this place to anyone! If you are breathing...you will like it.
Hank's Worst ABC Nashville experience:
- La Luna Cafe' -NOW CLOSED- We walked in and the first scent to hit my nose was smoke...it was disgusting! That made me scan quickly for their health score...which was 47! I looked at Frank and Eddie...gave the signal...and we walked right out! Not hard to see why it ended up folding!
- Twin Kegs – OK...I know...we were asking for it when we chose this place. But the sign said that they were world famous...and we had heard they had great burgers...we were dupped! It was a small, dark and dirty space that reeked of smoke! Our “server” was quite entertaining and quite possibly drunk. When asked “Do you have crinkle cut fries?”...his response was...”Huh?!? Crinkle cut this!”. Overall...the place was filthy, the food was not good at all, and the “server”, although very entertaining, did not cut it!
- White Trash Café – I would add one word to the name of this restaurant...NASTY! I appreciate kitsch décor with the best of them...but that wasn’t enough to outweigh the fact that the service was horrible, the food was dreadful and it was DIRTY! One of the specials that day was a baked chicken dish. I thought it couldn’t be all that bad until I asked for a description and someone at our table ordered it. It was essentially frozen fried chicken breast that had been cooked in a pan of gelatinous brown gravy. The look and smell of it was enough to turn my stomach. Haven’t been back since...and will not go back again.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
2/12/07 - Arnold’s Country Kitchen
2/13/07 - Broadway Brewhouse (and Mojo Grill)
2/26/07 - Chile Burrito
3/13/07 - Elliston Place Soda Shop
3/22/07 - Fido’s
5/1/07 - Hot Diggity Dogs
5/7/07 - The Italian Market (a repeat)
5/21/07 - Joey’s House of Pizza (B’wood)
5/30/07 - Kalamata’s
6/18/07 - LaPaz (chain alert!)
8/27/07 - Muddea’s Famous Chicken & Waffles
8/13/07 - Norman Cousers Country Cooking
9/21/07 - Ombi
9/25/07 - Puffy Muffin
10/8/07 - Rose Pepper Cantina
10/17/07 - Super Pollo
11/8/07 - Tangredi's Italian Kitchen
12/3/07 - US Border Cantina
12/17/07 - Varallos (Too)
1/11/08 - Wendell Smith’s1/18/08 - Zackie’s Original Hot Dog
7/17/06 - Athens Family Restaurant
7/24/06 - Bobby’s Dairy Dip
8/4/06 - Copper Kettle
8/10/06 - DaVinci’s Pizza
8/28/06 - El Mariachi
9/8/06 - The Food Company
9/11/06 - Germantown Cafe
9/25/06 - Hog Heaven
9/26/06 - International Market and Restaurant
10/3/06 - Judge Beans
10/9/06 - The Knife and Fork (“Where The Locals Eat” - is now Sylvan Park)
10/27/06 - Las Chivas
10/30/06 - Molly P’s (r.i.p.)
11/8/06 - Nick’s Italian Deli
11/14//06 - Oasis Restaurant (Mexican/Caribbean)
11/20/06 - The Pie Wagon
??/??/?? - Rotiers
11/21/06 - Swett’s
11/29/06 - Twin Kegs (Internationally Famous)
12/1/06 - Uncle Gio’s Italian
12/5/06 - Valentino’s (West End)
12/11/06 - Woody’s Steak House
12/15/06 - Yamamoto12/18/06 - Z’s Deli
1/9/06 - Bros Cajun Cuisine
1/16/06 - Café Coco
1/23/06 - Dalts Grill
1/30/06 - Eddie George Grill (r.i.p.)
2/6/06 - Factory Grill, The (Aladdin plant)
2/13/06 - Gerst Haus
2/27/06 - The Italian Market
3/7/06 - Kien Giang
3/13/06 - JJ’s Bistro (in the retired teachers home, Metro Center. r.i.p?)
3/22/06 - Loveless Café
3/27/06 - Mason Jar (Hendersonville, TN)
4/17/06 - Nick’s Famous BBQ
4/23/06 - Otters Chicken Tenders
4/28/06 - Phat Bites
5/8/06 - Qudoba (yeah, yeah - it’s a chain, we know…)
5/19/06 - Silver Sands Soul Food
6/1/06 - Tex’s World Famous BBQ
6/5/06 - Unique Flavors
4/6/06 - Vandyland (r.i.p.)
6/12/06 - White Trash Café
6/30/06 - The Yellow Porch7/10/06 - Zoes (Brentwood - we didn't know it was a chain! promise)